Series on Harassment & Exploitation in
In response to the #MeToo movement in general, and news stories and incidences within the international development community in particular, SID-Washington is launching a series focused on the issues of sexual harassment and exploitation in development. Our first event on this topic was a CEO Breakfast
in April 2018 with Abby Maxman, President and CEO of Oxfam; Carolyn Miles, President and CEO of Save the Children; Tessie San Martin, President and CEO of Plan International USA; and Meaghan Smith, President and CEO of Banyan Global. This session raised many questions and sparked ideas for future programs, including:
- An evening event on June 12 targeted to young professionals as part of our Young Professionals in Development Network (YPN) program with Megan Nobert, Founder and Former Director of Report the Abuse
- A panel discussion on Communications – both internal and external – with speakers from USAID and other organizations
- A panel on Reporting with speakers from USAID’s Office of Inspector General (OIG) and other HR and legal professionals
- Discussions of Soft Skills Training with speakers from organizations offering programs in sensitivity, awareness, dealing with a power dynamic and more.
- A panel with representatives from the Donor Community talking about their concerns, requirements, and insights into this issue
- And more…
These will be workgroup events, chapter events, institutional member events, and joint events with other organizations. Please let us know if you have suggestions for topics or speakers. And please watch for details as we solidify the programs in this series!
Resources and Information
InterAction's CEO Pledge On Preventing Sexual Abuse, Exploitation, And Harassment By And Of NGO Staff